During uncertain times a glass of wine can offer not only a sense of calm, but also the comfort of familiarity. Cue Kenwood Vineyards. Today we’re sharing two Kenwood wines, both sent to us as tasting samples.
Kenwood Vineyards is a familiar name to wine drinkers in California and beyond. Kenwood Vineyards was established in 1970 as a family business and earned the reputation as a producer of premium wine in Sonoma County. In 1996 Korbel purchased 50 percent of the winery and then two years later the remaining 50 percent. In 2014 Pernod Ricard purchased Kenwood Vineyards from Korbel.
Kenwood Vineyards currently makes five ranges of wine, all sourced from Sonoma County that offer a tour of this diverse region:
- Six Ridges — this range of small-lot wines are sourced from Alexander Valley, Dry Creek Valley, Russian River Valley, Sonoma Valley and Sonoma Coast. This range is named for the ridges and mountains that border Kenwood’s vineyards. Look for Sauvignon Blanc, Chardonnay, Pinot Noir, Cabernet Sauvignon and Merlot.
- Jack London — sourced from the Jack London Ranch, located on the western slope of Sonoma Valley in Glen Ellen. Since 1976 Kenwood Vineyards has been the sole producer of wines from this historic vineyard. Look for Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot, Zinfandel and a Red Blend.
- Single Vineyard — small-lot wines, 100 cases, from select vineyards throughout Sonoma. There are vineyard names you will no doubt recognize in this range that includes Chardonnay, Pinot Noir, Malbec, Zinfandel, Cabernet Sauvignon and Merlot.
- The Barn — this range is sourced exclusively from the Sonoma Coast AVA. Chardonnay and Pinot Noir are the stars in this range.
- Winery Exclusive — these wines are available at the winery or online and currently include a rosé of Pinot Noir (below) and Blanc de Blancs NV.
2019 Kenwood Vineyards Rosé of Pinot Noir, Sonoma Coast — translucent raspberry in the glass with aromas of ripe raspberries and strawberries. Flavors of juicy blackberries and raspberries along with a squeeze of citrus are lively and finish with bright citrusy flavors. 12.5% abv. SRP $22
Pretty in the glass and a pleasure to sip. This rosé is just the thing for a warm summer evening.
2016 Kenwood Vineyards Jack London Red Blend, Sonoma Mountain — medium ruby in the glass with generous aromas of plums, ripe blackberries, spice and dusty earth. Complex flavors lead with blackberries, berry bramble, plums, chalky minerals and cedar. Drying tannins are well integrated with the flavors, which last for a good long time. 14.5% abv. SRP $35
Just so delicious and appealing, even on a warm evening. This wine is complex and balanced without being too ripe, too hot or too tannic. Honestly, it’s very good!
For several reasons, California wildfires among them, visiting the winery may not be practical, but remember you can order wines online, directly using the winery website or find them a retailer near you.
Thanks to Double Forte and Kenwood Vineyards for this taste of Kenwood wines.